Religious Education News
While we cannot meet together for Mass right now, we can still be watching the Mass every Sunday from home and participating as much as we can without being there. Use these websites to watch each weekend's Mass with Bishop Malooly:
Magnifikids is offering free access to their missalettes for kids age 6-12 at www.magnifikid.com/free This is a great resource that will be very helpful in following along with the recorded Mass.
Here is a link to this week's Kid's Korner activity page: http://bonventure.net/kidskorner/kk_A_4lent_2.jpg
In addition to its online edition, MAGNIFICAT is now offering complimentary access to its iOS and Android Apps throughout May. To register for free access in English, visit www.magnificat.com/free. For free access in Spanish, visit and register at www.magnificat.com/gratis.
Here is a link to Stations of the Cross for younger children:
The Laudate app has a very nice Stations of the Cross for older students/adults that could be prayed as a family at home.
Have a blessed weekend! Know that our parishioners are together in His Spirit as we worship from home this weekend.
Help for the Homeless
The “CARE WEAR” Project
The shelter for homeless families in Earleville – Deep Roots (formerly Clairvaux Farms) has expressed its critical need for the most basic of clothing – new underwear. Please consider donating men’s and ladies’ undergarments. The roomier sizes are suggested - Large and Extra Large, etc. Also needed are toddler-sized “pull ups” for young children who are potty training. Your help is greatly appreciated. Please place new, packaged underwear in the basket that is in the main entry area of our church. Two notes of thanks have come to all parishioners from the shelter.
God bless you for your generosity.
St. Dennis Pastoral Council Report- January 9, 2020
Stained Glass Window Restoration:
Work has begun on our Good Shepherd window, and the entry door window is ready to be replaced. St Dennis parishioners have responded with generosity and most of the Phase 1 windows have been sponsored.
National Register of Historic Places: Committee members begin the process of preparing the applications for submission to the National Registry.
St Dennis Church, Rectory & Cemetery will be included in this application.
- Committees: “Soup Sale” fundraiser begins on Sunday, January 19, with Vegetable Beef soup and Chili being offered at $8 per quart. Robin’s Apple Cakes & chocolate chip cookies for sale.
- Building & Maintenance : Re-organizing & prioritizing necessary repairs and updates to St Dennis’ Campus.
- Liturgy Planning: Current considerations are: “Palms to Ashes” ceremony before the Shrove Tuesday Pancake supper on February 25th, Ash Wednesday on February 26th, Lenton Friday Stations of the Cross at 4PM.
- New Mandatory Forms: For scheduling the use or rental of the Hall or a room, & what is expected of the user, please contact Peg at the office. Thank You!
- Clairvaux Farm urgent need: Men’s & women’s NEW underwear in size Large & X-Large. Women’s sports bras. Children’s “Pull Ups”. More to follow!!!
- Beautification Update: Volunteers have graciously planted 120 tulip and daffodill bulbs. Perhaps more of nature’s beauty can be added to enhance our Church grounds in the future! Interested???
- Blood Bank: As a community service, the blood bank drive is scheduled for 2/16/2020 in coordination with Blood Bank of Delmarva. More to follow!!
Next Meeting; February 13, 2020 at 7 PM.
Communion Norms for the Diocese
Bishop Malooly recently issued norms regarding the celebration of Communion Services in the Diocese of Wilmington. The Bishop has directed that the following be placed in all parish bulletins:
In recent years, it has become somewhat common practice for parishes to schedule Communion Services on those days when daily Mass is cancelled or not scheduled. The Church views Communion Services during the week as an extraordinary exception rather than the norm. (Sunday Mass where no priest is available is addressed below.)
Although the Church does, in limited instances, foresee a Liturgy of the Word with Communion (i.e., a Communion Service) typically on a Sunday, the Church asks that such liturgies be rarely permitted on weekdays and then only by extraordinary exception.
The following guidelines are effective immediately in all parishes and parish mission churches in the Diocese of Wilmington:
- Communion Services may not be substituted for Daily Mass, except in unexpected circumstances. For instance, the scheduled priest fails to show up or has a sudden illness or personal emergency.
- When a daily Mass is cancelled, and published as such in advance, the faithful must be notified of the availability of other daily Masses in surrounding churches.
- In lieu of daily Mass, the Pastor may schedule another type of service: Liturgy of the Hours, a Liturgy of the Word, Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament, or the communal recitation of the Rosary.
- In the extremely unlikely event that a priest is indisposed from being able to be present for a Sunday Mass, then the ritual that the Church has provided must be utilized, that is Sunday Celebrations in the Absence of a Priest. A priest's absence from Sunday Mass must be for a very serious reason and every effort must be made by him to find a priest replacement.
- The Leader of prayer on those occasions when there is no priest shall be a Deacon, or a Seminarian who has been assigned to the parish, or a Religious, or a Lay minister designated by the pastor. It is a laudable practice that other members of the Lay Faithful share parts of the service.
Hopefully, these new guidelines will eliminate confusion surrounding the question of Communion Services and render us all united in what we celebrate and when and by whom.
eGiving with Faith Direct
There is a new and exciting way for you to support our parish offertory and second collections: Faith Direct enables parishioners to make your Church contribution through either direct debit from your checking/savings account or through your credit/debit card. No more writing checks or searching for envelopes on the way out the door. Now you can apply the convenience of direct debit to your parish offerings in much the same way you as your may now use it to make your mortgage, car or tuition payments.
Please join me in enrolling by the responding the mailing you will receive or visit www.faithdirect.net to enroll securely online. Our parish code is MD916